Popping in really quickly to share what I worked on this week for the One Room Challenge. We only have one week left before we share the final reveal of our rooms, and I have so much to do, but I’m so excited to finish and see what everyone else in the challenge has done.
This week, I worked on one of two dressers in my boys’ Star Wars themed room. This was the dresser that I started with…
…and this Restoration Hardware piece was the vision I had for it. I wanted an industrial metal look, but I wanted to make it my own, not just make an exact copy.
I began by sanding and wiping down the dresser down really well.
My base color was this Rustoleum Metallic Spray Paint (the same one I used for my mural), which made painting super easy. It has a lot of texture, which is what I wanted.
Now, I wanted a brushed metal look, so using silver craft paint, I brushed on the accent paint back and forth at a slant (from left to right, then right to left). You can see the pattern in the picture below.
And to seal my paint and add even more texture, I applied a layer of polycrylic using the same method as the craft paint.
After letting it dry overnight and putting my drawers back in, I measured and hammered in thumbtacks all the way around the trim on the border. As a last minute finishing touch, I made myself a stencil, and added roman numerals as a subtle nod to Star Wars. I did 6, 7 and 8 because the other dresser has 5 drawers, so I’ll use roman numerals for 1-5 for it.
It doesn’t photograph very well, because the lighting in the room is terrible, but I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. Now I get to do it all over again for the reveal next week. Wish me luck! And, of course, don’t forget to check out all the other designers in the One Room Challenge.