Well, it’s finally here! The day of the big reveal! As usual, I’ve been working on this room up until the very last minute, but I am very happy to say, I’m done.
If you haven’t been following along, the One Room Challenge is an event that Linda at Calling It Home hosts where over 150 bloggers have been working on finishing one room for the last six weeks, and sharing their projects along the way. To get caught what I’ve been doing the last 5 weeks, check here:
If you’re new here to my blog, let me just explain that I live in an old, run-down 1970s trailer (less than 1000 square feet) with my husband, four kids and two pets. Slowly but surely, my husband and I have been working on renovating it, but on a very, very tight budget.
So, in keeping with that theme, I wanted to fix up my boys’ room and make it something special that they loved for as little money as possible. They (along with every other boy on the planet) are really big into Star Wars right now, so that’s what we decided to work with.
Here is what the room looked like originally:
And this was the general plan for my design:
I wanted a spacey, Star Wars look, but with modern, industrial accents to keep it grounded and not too over the top theme-y. I will say, it did end up being pretty theme-y, but they love and I’m happy with it.
…hanging curtains (just regular black curtains that I spray painted with a similar technique as the mural to look galaxy-esque)…
…hanging a few more shelves, and then the biggest project was my wall art. I used wood letters from Wal-Mart, attached them to the wall with Loc-Tite fun tak, painted them the color of the wall, and then went back and highlighted one word in each phrase with silver craft paint for a little something extra. I had a little help from my son here (they both were cracking up over the “lik my father before me”).
The “I am a Jedi like my father before me” has special significance because my son’s name is Luke and his Daddy’s name is Luke. The lightsaber wall lamps are Uncle Milton lamps from Amazon that my sons got to put together themselves.
And now, I’ll just try to take you on a tour around the room.
I made the duvet covers with 2 $5 sheets painted with fabric paint because I couldn’t afford the IKEA version that I wanted at $50 a piece. The accent pillows are made from pillow cases, a stencil that I made (you can download it here for the Millennium Falcon and here for the Death Star), and fabric paint.
We made the bedside Lego station with $4 IKEA shelves and a $7 IKEA table.
I painted the mural with chalkboard paint, metallic spray paint, and chalk.
I made over my childhood dressers with metallic spray paint, craft paint, polycrylic, and thumb tacs.
And that’s it! Another room completed! Let me know what you think, and be sure to check out the final reveals of the rest of the designers for the One Room Challenge. I’m headed there now!
I’m also sharing this room makeover over at http://www.remodelaholic.com.