Commercial drones have many positive and legitimate uses, but there are increasing concerns that drones are being used for illegal and dangerous activities. Flying too close to passenger aircraft, smuggling drugs and weapons into prisons, privacy concerns, weaponized drones. The list is growing daily as are the incidents.
To combat the threat of drones CRFS advocates a multi-sensor approach combining its RF Drone Detection system with other sensors such as radar, infra-red, acoustic and optical amongst others.
How RF spectrum monitoring can help
Commercial drones are usually operated via a radio control signal and often have on-board data link transmitters for real-time sensor download (typically in the 2.4 GHz ISM band). These can be detected and geolocated with a network of RFeye Nodes well before the drone enters a protected area such as an airport, a prison or a government facility. In addition, the system can detect the location of not only the drone itself, but also of the source of the control signal – i.e. those responsible for any crime or nuisance behavior. Countermeasures such as signal jamming or firing nets may then be used to neutralize the threat.
How it works
The system is based around a network of RFeye nodes that are set up around the facility that is to be protected. These intelligent nodes passively detect and identify the presence of RF transmissions that relate to drones, even if the signals are of low power or in RF noisy conditions. The transmissions can be geolocated in 3D to give the location of the drone, its flight height and air speed. Multiple drones can be simultaneously tracked and identified. If a drone is detected, the system triggers an alert that can then be verified by the other sensors deployed.
- What are the uses of clayey soil
- What caused El Chapo to commit crime
- What is the greatest thing inside you
- Is this computer good for gaming
- When is an investment portfolio too diversified
- Are people with NPD typically hypochondriacs
- What are the best traffic sources
- Where is the page break in Excel
- How do commodity contracts work
- Are mobile payment apps safe to use
- What is the most useful laptop accessory
- Is Visual Studio good for Android development
- Why am I unlovable
- Who owns the solar planets and satellites
- What is lifestyle and image optimization
- Arent most atheists actually God haters?no_redirect=1
- How do I marry Chris Evans
- Why do dimes and quarters have ridges
- What is sold furniture
- Why does racism persist in our lives