Software has taken over our life. Whether we work on it or not, software forms an intricate part of almost every office setting today. It is thus one of the most prestigious career options today. Whether you are a full time employee, looking to earn a few extra bucks by the side, or you are a self-employed engineer, simply trying to get your business up and running, there is much scope in freelance software engineer.
You can opt for freelance for many different reasons. Extra income, work from home, ability to take on multiple tasks, independence; the list continues. Whatever your preferences, you can be assured that freelance Software Engineering is a career that will give you a comfortable life, and a low-pressure, low stress working environment like your home.
Freelance Software Engineer Job Duties:
Freelance software engineer usually conceive, test, maintain, and even enable provisions for updates and innovations in Software. To elaborate, let us have an in-depth look at some of the duties that will fall under your purview, as a freelance Software Engineer:
- Confer with systems analysts, engineers, programmers and others to design system and to obtain information on project limitations and capabilities, performance requirements and interfaces.
- Modify existing software to correct errors, allow it to adapt to new hardware, or to improve its performance.
- Analyze user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Liaise with and consult with customers about software system design and maintenance.
- Coordinate software system installation and monitor equipment functioning to ensure specifications are met.
- Design, develop, and modify software systems, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Develop and direct software system testing and validation procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Analyze information to determine, recommend, and plan computer specifications and layouts, and peripheral equipment modifications.
- Supervise the work of programmers, technologists and technicians and other engineering and scientific personnel.
- Obtain and evaluate information on factors such as reporting formats required, costs, and security needs to determine hardware configuration.
- Determine system performance standards.
- Train users to use new or modified equipment.
- Store, retrieve, and manipulate data for analysis of system capabilities and requirements.
- Specify power supply requirements and configuration.
- Recommend purchase of equipment to control dust, temperature, and humidity in the area of system installation.
While regular office hours are the norm, working remotely, you might work long days and even weekends leading up to project deadlines. Overnight and weekend stays may be required for Software tests. Software engineers can be on call 24 hours a day.
Freelance Software Engineer Skills:
To be a good software engineer, you must master certain skills. You should be able to determine, enforce, and even monitor the Software. You will design and set up rules of engagement, but the job role will often demand more from you than an implementation and design process. You need to develop some of these skills to do well; some of them include:
- Programming skills
- Mathematical skills
- Systems evaluation
- Complex Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Scientific Skills
- Decision Making
- Operations Research
- Operations Analysis
- Active Learning
- Able to work remotely
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Quality control
- Deductive Reasoning
- Equipment selection
- Social Perceptiveness
Many websites will help you develop the above-mentioned skills. However, you must remember that Software Engineering is a graduate level course, often requiring four years of intensive study. QAE Learning, Free Tech books, Collegeathome, Eleed and Worldwide Learn offer many options to supplement your learning online, either in software developer course or self training video formats.
Being Successful As A Freelance Software Engineer:
More often than not, talent is not a determinant of success in any sphere. It is possibly truer for engineers, with the freelance market insisting that talent combined with the relevant experience attracts generous prospective employers.
Hence, to be successful initially, you could:
- Offer to do projects for minimum fees, sometimes for free
- Bid the lowest for a project on freelancer portals
- Get good testimonials for guest blogs, recommendations for work
- Start a blog, back link it to more visible blogs
- Create a website, or at the very least, a web page
- Advertise your services on social media platforms
- Understand the engineering requirement intimately
- Sharpen your Communication skills, as it would help you get more jobs
- Master Software Engineering Basics
- Learn additional skills like Networking skills
Freelance Software Engineer Salary:
Most of the revenue generated by you will depend solely on your ability to market your services and your credibility with previous employees.
Usually freelance portals offer various kinds of payment models. In the fixed-price model, the price is usually pre-determined. The hourly model is the most popular and employers usually pay a predetermined sum per hour. Finally, in the project-budget based model, you often need to auction for such projects. Usually a fixed price model may range from $20- $200 and upwards, while you have to pitch for hourly projects, and budget payments, which usually range from $5- $35 an hour, with average payments at $21 per hour.
Many websites, forums, and portals offer hundreds of jobs to freelance engineers like you. Elance, Odesk, Peopleperhour and Guru offer many opportunities to freelance software engineers around the globe.
Many websites will help you develop the above-mentioned skills. However, you must remember that Software Engineering is a graduate level course, often requiring four years of intensive study. QAE Learning, Free Tech books, Collegeathome, Eleed and Worldwide Learn offer many options to supplement your learning online, either in course or self training video formats.
For more information on Freelance Software Engineer please visit www.careerlancer.net
- Who is your favorite superhero sidekick
- How do you say deal in Tagalog
- Do you breathe out only carbon dioxide
- What are some external oblique muscle exercises
- How many km is 65 mph
- How is ones experience with ice climbing
- What are the important roles in SEO
- What are some things the ducks eat
- How long does Walmart grocery pickup take
- When was Quora created 1
- Is the Happn app worth downloading
- Who is Cecil the lion
- How long do frozen raspberries last
- How does a YouTube channel make money
- What would happen if Google shut down
- What is span S in linear algebra
- What is indigenous economic model
- What are the books for TOEFL 2
- ADVANTAGES of HIRING through A RECRUITMENT AGENCY
- Is astrology real