Gordon Ramsay — king of beef Wellington and teaser of plant-eaters — is going vegan. Rather, the chef's "going to give this #vegan thing a try." Ramsay nonchalantly threw that line in the caption of his recent Instagram post featuring a photo of a cheese-less pizza from his just-opened Street Pizza restaurant in London.
Ramsay isn't the first big-name chef to make the switch from carnivore to herbivore — Food Network star Marcela Valladolid recently tried it, too — but he might be the most unlikely. Vegans and vegetarians are regular targets of his insults; he's even tweeted that he's allergic to them. When British singer Cheryl Cole appeared on The F Word in 2007, Ramsay mocked her vegetarian diet. That same year, he jokingly stated this in an interview with the Daily Mirror: "My biggest nightmare would be if the kids ever came up to me and said 'Dad, I'm a vegetarian.' Then I would sit them on the fence and electrocute them."
He's managed to offend PETA on multiple occasions, too. Just two months ago, Ramsay tweeted, "I'm a member of PETA! People eating tasty animals ...", to which the animal rights group responded: "Oh, dear, Gordon. We've heard that old line before. While you're spending time mocking the future #vegan we're betting you one day become, most chefs are exploring healthy, animal- & environment-friendly #PlantBased dishes." Um, did PETA just predict the future?
Only time will tell whether Ramsay meant he's simply trying some vegan foods — on the menus in his restaurants, during meals here and there — or if he's actually planning to stick to the diet. The chef's made a number of healthy lifestyle changes recently, including dropping more than 50 pounds. Maybe this is what's next.
Follow Delish on Instagram.
Sarah WeinbergDeputy EditorSarah Weinberg is the deputy editor at Delish and has covered food, travel, home, and lifestyle for a number of publications, including Food Network Magazine and Country Living.
- What was your first experience surfing
- What are guys expecting from a girl?no_redirect=1
- What is a project topic on finance
- What is pooled data
- Is homeschooling on the rise
- Why cant all medicine tablets be capsules
- Is talking to girls allowed in SSN
- What is Microsoft Office OneNote
- How does jamming work
- What is a field in physics
- Are you from JNMC Belagavi
- What tools did Kaurna people use
- What is implicit analysis
- How did animals learn to become musical
- How is paint tech in HBTU
- What animals live in Norway
- Can I compost meat scraps
- Is Mbappe already better than Neymar
- Could Kakashi defeat Itachi
- Is there value in becoming SCRUM certified