[ uhm, uhn, uh m, uhn ]
/ ʌm, ʌ̃, əm, ə̃ /
(used as an expression of doubt, hesitation, deliberation, interest, etc.)
Words nearby um
ulundi, uluru, ulyanovsk, ulysses, ulúa, um, umami, umar, umar tal, umayyad, umbel
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2020
Examples from the Web for umm
Umm…to me, pop music is more of a science term than an aesthetic.
The Rise of Jack Antonoff, the Taylor Swift Whisperer|Kevin Fallon|November 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Umm, I think it is very hard to see how Mike Pence can achieve 51 percent of the vote.
Mike Pence, Dark Horse in Training for 2016|David Freedlander|June 27, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“Umm…they maintain themselves,” she responded when asked whether or not they were threaded, plucked, or waxed.
Donald Sterling’s Former Mistress Makes the “Paparazzi Shield” Chic; Cara Delevingne Has Self-Grooming Eyebrows|The Fashion Beast Team|May 5, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The skit for presenting the “Best Kiss” award was, umm, cringe-worthy.
The Best Moments of the MTV Movie Awards|Marina Watts|April 14, 2014|DAILY BEAST
“Umm…I read some of it,” he said, of the Austrian novelist Stefan Zweig, whom Anderson cites as an inspiration for the movie.
The Cast of ‘The Grand Budapest Hotel’ Says Wes Anderson Is a Genius Hardass|Nico Hines|February 16, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Erskine read 'umm, meaning that Ahl could neither read nor write; de Courteille that he was un homme du commun.
The Bbur-nma in English|Babur, Emperor of Hindustan
The fugitive's pardon was granted to Umm Hakim, his wife, who rejoined him when he was on the point of embarking.
The Life of Mohammad|Etienne Dinet
Tradition says that Umm Salama often nursed Ḥasan in his infancy.
Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th Edition, Volume 13, Slice 1|Various
"Umm, that's right, Dick was a code-specialist," Hanlon nodded.
Man of Many Minds|E. Everett Evans
“Umm,” murmured Wiley, and examined each sample with a careful, appraising eye.
Shadow Mountain|Dane Coolidge
British Dictionary definitions for umm (1 of 2)
a representation of a common sound made when hesitating in speech
British Dictionary definitions for umm (2 of 2)
the internet domain name for
US Minor Outlying Islands
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- How can Tumblr be improved
- Is Wichita business friendly to restaurants
- What does the abbreviation GPS mean
- What is Ospemifene
- Is theism unnatural
- When should you use ANTLR in Python
- What is the American colonization society
- How do I deal with jealous girls
- What is the importance of business law
- Who gave Daenerys Targaryen the title
- How do I rank my business
- Who is interested in importing Malaysian durian
- What is the Citizenship Act?no_redirect=1
- What abilities does Cristiano Ronaldo have
- Why should one follow influencer marketing
- Why does being nice sucks
- What are the types of instrument cables
- How can I meet Jennifer Winget
- Why is Morrissey super right wing now
- Can someone be diagnosed with sociopathic tendencies