Welcome to OnlineConversion.comHow do I read a ruler?
A ruler used to be called a rule, and rulers would be rules. Today, the more commonly found term is ruler. The dictionary defines both the term rule and ruler, so either can be used, and for this document I will only use the term ruler.
Metric rulers are fairly easy to read. They deal with centimeters and millimeters only. You wont have to worry much about fractions.
Take a look at the following Metric Ruler.
The larger lines with numbers are centimeters, and the smallest lines are millimeters. Since millimeters are 1/10th of a centimeter, if you measure 7 marks after a centimeter, it is 1.7 centimeters long.
English rulers, are much more difficult to read. Mostly because they deal with fractions, which are a bit more dificult to learn.
Take a look at the following English Rulers.
|The center mark between numbers is 1/2.|
The red lines on these rulers are marked at 1/2, and 1.
The next smallest marks on a ruler are 1/4ths.
The red marks on these rulers are at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1. (1/2 is the same as 2/4)
The next smallest marks on a ruler are 1/8ths.
The red marks on these rulers are at 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, and 1.
The next smallest mark, if there are any, are 1/16ths.
The red marks on this ruler are at 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, and 1.
When marking down a distance from a ruler, mark the whole inch, followed by a space, then the fraction of an inch.
For example, 1 1/2, or 2 3/8.
When entering fractions into the conversion calculators, you have to separate the whole number and the fraction with a + sign.
For example, 1+1/2, or 2+3/8.
» Return to the FAQ
- What do everyday millionaires drive
- How does artificial intelligence affect human intelligence
- Why are musical instruments so expensive
- What factors influence customer care
- Whats the name of this Arabic font
- How do I get old research paper
- Does Tumblr show nudity
- What are dirty petroleum products
- What is your opinion about Modiji
- Is CMC Vellore empanelled under CGHS
- What screams I am pseudo intellectual
- What have people heard about Ukraine
- What instant benefits does weight loss confer
- Does horticulture make good money
- How hard is childcare
- What is a hrpg
- Who is Gopabandhu Das from Odisha
- How are perfect tenses formed