|Follow @PetronetLNGLtd |
The very concept of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) is a response to the inefficiency of natural gas pipelines and the technical and economic problems of running pipelines over long distances.
If natural gas is cooled at minus 160.5' C, it becomes liquid and more compact, occupying just 1/600th of the gaseous volume. This is because most of the heavier hydrocarbons are removed during liquefaction.
The cargo that is transported in bulk by sea is predominantly methane (over 80%) - a colourless, odourless, transparent liquid which is non-toxic, non-corrosive and less dense than water. As LNG is highly volatile, specialist operators are involved in its transportation.
A TYPICAL LNG CHAIN
Primary LNG Project / Chain Components are:
Natural Gas is not only efficient, clean, eco-friendly and flexible in control, it meets many of the fuel requirements of modern industrial society. LNG's main applications are:
Electricity generation : Fuel for base load and combined cycle/ co-generation power plants.
Public and commercial : This clean fuel, which is cheaper than LPG, can be used as piped gas for households. In the West, most household consumption is accounted for by piped gas, whose use is increasing rapidly.
Industrial : Industrial : Under boiler fuel for steam raising and heating applications.
Alternative motor fuel to diesel : The use of natural gas as fuel for automobiles is increasing rapidly as it is 30 to 40% more efficient and much cleaner than traditional fossil fuels. With only one carbon and four hydrogen atoms per molecule, it is the most eco-friendly option and is gaining increasing relevance in the age of Global Warming and Climate Change.
Petrochemicals : Several vital chemical products, e.g. methanol, can be derived from natural gas.
| ©Petronet LNG Limited|| Home | Contact Us | Disclaimer | Quick Links | Mail Servers: Primary / Secondary | |
- Why does matter have mass
- How can humans run so fast
- Which countries are Indian countries
- What do authors want from their readers
- How did you stop procrastinating
- What is a set schedule at work
- Which are best Professional Email scraping softwares
- Is Blogger good for blogging in 2019
- Did Pakistan close airspace again
- Where can I find a real unicorn
- What are the applications of data warehousing
- Who loves Jesus
- Which was the first waterproof smartphone
- How much storage space does Gmail offer
- How is the life at IIM Bangalore
- Why is Islam very welcomed in Indonesia
- How does cramping happen in periods
- Can we become taller with genetic engineering
- What does Brexit mean for Egypt