A new bill could make California the first state in the U.S. to ban retailers from handing out paper receipts, opting instead for digital, unless a specific request is made by a customer.
The "Skip the Slip" bill was introduced by California Assembly member Phil Ting (D-San Francisco) and comes at the heels of similar restrictions on plastic straws that have been implemented in the state as well as in several cities across the country, including Washington D.C. and Seattle.
The aim of the bill, which would go into effect Jan. 1, 2022, is to protect consumers and workers from "toxins" that often coat paper receipts, as well as cut down on environmental waste, according to officials with Green America, leader of the "Skip the Slip" campaign.
Ting cites data from Green America's Skip the Slip report on his official website, which claims that "each year in the United States, up to 10 million trees and 21 billion gallons of water are used to create receipts, which generate 686 million pounds of waste and 12 billion pounds of carbon dioxide, the equivalent of 1 million cars on the road."
According to Todd Larsen, executive co-director for Green America, retailers that have already adopted digital receipts, such as Lidl and Trader Joe's, have seen benefits in terms of reduced costs and greater connection to their customers."
“Assembly member Ting’s bill will benefit retailers, workers and consumers in California, and it will be an important step forward in addressing the increasing impacts of paper-based receipts," he said.
New Stores Policy/Regulatory
- Why can I send unlimited A2As
- Did Prince have Klinefelters syndrome
- What is your schedule on working days
- What is a blue print design
- Can a share point site be responsive
- What was your favorite Sinclair Spectrum game
- When did Akhenaten rule Egypt
- What makes Canada great
- Did Pakistan close airspace again
- Which is the best network marketing
- What are dark storm clouds
- What are discombobulating colors
- How do I make delicious Gumbo
- Can Nestle Milkybar chocolate cause health problems
- What causes rogue waves
- What are the symptoms of sore throat
- What social norm do you regularly break
- Are vibrant papers tough
- What are cheese grits