Grid disruptions and subsequent power surges are on the rise across the U.S., with an aging infrastructure, increasing frequency of severe weather, and a growing, technology-centered population taking its toll from the electrical grid to the internal wiring of homes. Every day, expensive electronics are taken out of commission by these surges, leaving many wondering if an investment in a surge protector is now not only a wise, but necessary investment.
Surge protector payback
A professionally installed whole house surge protector can save you thousands over its initial investment cost. In addition to qualifying you for potential discounts from your insurance company, a whole house surge protector can save you the replacement costs of your many sensitive and expensive electrical devices, from your home entertainment system, to kitchen appliances, home office equipment and mobile technology, paying for themselves in the event of even a single power surge. From the National Fire Protection Association to the Institute for Business and Home Safety, a whole house surge protector investment comes with a big thumbs-up.
Are power surges really that common?
The average home experiences 20 power surges a day, about half of which are internal. In addition, over 20 million cloud-to-ground lightning strikes occur annually in the continental U.S., whose resulting losses are typically not covered under homeowner’s insurance.
How can a surge protector safeguard my home against these surges?
Electricity follows the path of least resistance to ground. Hardwired to your home’s electrical panel, surge protectors redirect excess current safely to ground – blocking it before it has the chance to escape into the circuitry of your home. Where does all this excess current come from?
Disruptions and surges within the power system are many and frequent…
* Major appliances
Cycling on and off throughout the day, major appliances account for 60-80% of power surges occurring within the home. These low-level surges eventually degrade the circuitry of expensive electronics.
* Faulty wiring
When was the last time you had your home’s electrical system inspected for safety?
* Downed lines
From wind, accidents, branches, animals, and more.
* Electrical equipment problems and repairs
Which can result in extreme spikes and drops.
* High electricity demand
Resulting in rolling blackouts in extreme weather.
Which can cause extreme damage in an instant.
Want the ultimate in protection?
For the utmost protection of your home’s electronics and inhabitants, multi-level surge protection is key, as a whole house surge protector alone cannot handle 100% of power surges, nor the internal surges from the operation of appliances within your home. To ensure complete protection, be sure to include:
* Whole house surge protection between outside power lines and your home’s electric meter.
* Whole house surge protection installed between the meter and breaker box inside your home.
* Point-of-use, UL-listed surge protection at wall outlets.
Only as good as your grounding system
The function of a whole house surge protector makes proper grounding essential, as surge protection is only as good as the grounding system it is connected to. Not sure if you will need an upgraded ground system? Your Mr. Electric® professional can perform a simple test to verify the proper grounding that will help you make the most of surge protection in your home.
Tired of replacing your expensive electronics? Contact Mr. Electric to learn more about essential surge protection today. Looking for expert tips on maintaining your home's appliances? Our fellow Neighborly brand, Mr. Appliance, is your go to expert!
- Do ghosts exist 1
- How do I create an estate plan
- What is Jemima GoldSmiths religion
- How is memorycrafterz for ISCA CA final
- What if you dislike your engagement ring
- What are Googles biggest challenges
- Why is Gyorgy Ligeti so famous
- Is Innsbruck safe
- Why is there a science
- Can human emotion overcome physiological extremes
- How do hypocrites ruin relationships
- What makes people stay in their job
- What are some separatist groups of Indonesia
- How does Christopher Nolan edit his movies
- Are Trump impeachment articles legally flawed
- What is your favourite Gerard Butler movie
- What is the ploidy after meiotic division
- Could Australia become a dictatorship
- Why is self awareness so terrifying